Friday 6 August 2021

Happy April Fool’s Day - You’re Now a QA! By Chris Buswell



I began my time in the QAs with a sense of disbelief and wryness. I was in Belize and the CO had told us we three male nurses were to transfer to the QARANC. Up to then I’d been happy in the RAMC for five years, first as a Combat Medical Technician, then starting RGN training (one of my tutors was Wendy who helps run this blog) and then working on a variety of wards and departments post registration. The date of transfer in 1992 was on the 1st of April and a sense that this was an April Fool’s prank was heightened when we received a photocopy of the QARANC cap badge during a parade. I continued my posting, marvelling at the beauty of the country and wildlife. I was awed in their caves at the spectacle of roosting bats and in Airport Camp I enjoyed seeing the iguanas that lounged around the hospital grass. The first sight of a vulture eating a carcass on a roadside during a return from working in the Field Surgical Team was spectacular, its wingspan seemed huge. During my gawping, the anaesthetist tied my boots to the back of the Land Rover. After that I didn’t take them off during the hour drive back to camp

Upon my return to the Cambridge Military Hospital in Aldershot I was soon to discover from my wife, also a QA, that indeed I was now in the sisterhood of the Grey Mafia! I slunk to the Quartermaster and handed in my black beret for a grey one, with a shiny Cross with an A in the centre. So began a continuing interest in the history of the Corps and military hospitals. I worked in ITU, Paediatrics and the medical wards where I learnt about a certain Grey Lady, usually on night shift, when tales were spun and attempts to spook each other were performed. The day shifts ward sister’s cape and tippet placed on a drip stand and pulled along by string to the adjoining ward is legendary. I shall not reveal who did this in case Matron is reading! Little did I know that two decades later I would write a novel about this ghost and run the @QARANCHistory social media pages and the QARANC.co.uk website.



My student nurse training was at the Queen Elizabeth Military Hospital, with stints at the CMH for midwifery and paediatric training.

I loved the camaraderie at both hospitals and met my wife, Karla (nee Partridge) at the QEMH. We later had a great three years at the Tri-Service The Princess Mary’s Hospital at Akrotiri in Cyprus. A highlight was a bed-push race in the airbase pushing a Thunderbird themed bed (we lost!). Our married quarter had a large garden where I kept an aviary filled with budgies. I swapped the resultant babies at a nearby pet shop in Limassol for an aquarium and soon the Children’s ward was filled with fish and enough food to last years.

In the army base at nearby Episkopi there was a British Army Rehoming Centre, and we adopted a handsome pointer dog called Bouncer from BARC. We all explored the gorgeous coastline in the base and around this stunning island and enjoyed swimming in the clear blue sea.


Both our children were born at the TPMH, delivered by QA midwives. Their care was first-rate - I never felt a thing!








My last year was served at the Navy hospital in Haslar, in a medical ward, which was hard, but, like all my service, immensely satisfying work.

I now live in a small fishing village in Scotland with my wife, where I write novels. I keep white doves now and have a Bravehound PTSD dog Lynne. An incident in Cyprus gives me recurring nightmares and she wakes me up by washing my face or poking her tongue in my mouth! We then have a cosy cuddle whilst Karla rolls her eyes, sighs, and goes back to sleep.


Sadly, I don’t have any photos of my time in the QAs as this was in era when there were no digital cameras nor mobile phones. I’ve plenty off-duty though and I enjoy looking at them and reminiscing. If anyone remembers me and has any, I’d love to see them. You can find me @CGBUSWELL on social media.


Chris Buswell - L/Cpl served from 1987 to 1997

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful to read this.Best Wishes to you and your family Chris..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chris, a great story, or I should say stories, as you managed to regale a number of tales. I was sad to read of your PTSD, but heartened to hear you have Lynne and would be interested to hear more.

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...