Friday 8 January 2021

BRITISH ARMY OF THE RHINE - MY PART IN DRAWDOWN by Judy Evans

In December 1991 I was at QEMH, Woolwich, getting to grips with my newish job as Assistant Deputy Matron, having been posted there in June after almost four years in Germany, preparing for and then moving, following closure of BMH Munster, to a refurbished BMH Iserlohn. There were, at that time, three other military hospitals in Germany - Rinteln, Hannover and Berlin as well as the RAF Hospital at Wegberg.

The phone rang and it was Brigadier Hilary Dixon-Nuttall, Director Army Nursing Services ‘asking’ me to go back to Germany in March or April 1992, only a few months hence. “I’ve only been back from Germany for six months after four years there”, I replied, “If I go, please could it be for just a year?”

Fortunately, she agreed.

She then went into detail about my role. BMH Hannover would close on 30 June 1992.



Closure meant that patients who would have been treated there would have to travel over an hour to BMH Rinteln. To ease this, it was decided that my role would be to set up a Forward Outpatients Department (FOPD) for certain specialities at Hohne, a large garrison north of Hannover whereby consultants would travel from Rinteln to hold outpatient clinics. Patients would also come from other garrisons nearby, such as Fallingbostel and Celle. In addition I was to be project officer for a new Medical Reception Station (MRS) and Medical Provisioning Point (MPP) there. Patients who needed admission would go to Rinteln or make more use of beds in the expanded MRS. The use of German hospitals was at an early stage of discussion.

Sometime in January 1992, I flew out for the day to Rheindahlen from RAF Hendon in a small plane, similar to those used by the Royal Family, for a series of briefings. No one really knew much about anything and it was clear that I’d be flying by my pants.

I was posted to Hohne on 1 April 1992, perhaps an auspicious date. The MRS included about 10 beds for the minor sick and a group practice manned by military and civilian doctors and civilian nurses and a physiotherapist.

Some of the groundwork had been done - well, identifying the temporary locations of the FOPD and MPP and the new location of the MRS.

The former would be in Glyn Hughes Barracks occupied by 1 Armoured Field Ambulance which was a short drive from the main garrison but at least it was a medical unit, the latter would be located in what was being used as an annex for the Station Officers Mess but which I was sure would be suitable.

So, my job began. Setting up the FOPD was relatively straightforward. The building in the barracks was more than adequate, currently only being used by the garrison physiotherapist. It would be staffed by a civilian nurse who was already in post in the MRS, assisted by QARANC healthcare assistants (HCAs) who would shortly be posted in. Minor works such as putting in telephone points were required. Documentation was ordered as well as equipment such as scales, sphygmomanometers and so on, chairs, couches and tables.

The MPP would be staffed by a RAMC medical supply technician who would be posted in nearer the time of opening but I had to ensure it was ready as far as its security was concerned.

Talks began with the firm who would be doing the job of refurbishing the building, which was to become the MRS, FOPD and MPP. Work would take approximately eight months but it became clear that it would not be starting for a while so somehow it was unlikely I would see the end result.

I was also posted to Hohne as Matron of the MRS, which meant that I would support the civilian nursing staff who had previously felt a little neglected. We started in service training sessions and I became well known as the nurse phlebotomist as somehow they thought I had the knack of taking blood so I made sure that I was present for antenatal clinics! The HCAs settled in well and enjoyed working in a smaller unit than they were used to. We included them in some of the in service training which they appreciated. They worked in the group practice as well as the ward which had about 10 beds on both day and night duty.

I lived in the Station Officers Mess which was great fun. It had been mooted that I should have a flat which was available in the Field Ambulance barracks. I am so pleased I didn’t as I’d have felt very lonely. Of course Hohne is well known for being close to the former concentration camp of Bergen so it was a very poignant place to be. The countryside around was beautiful. Very flat, but great for walks and exploring.

The day the medical equipment arrived at the MPP for the first time, I was elsewhere but I received a phone call from the supply technician to say the unit’s fork lift truck was off the road and it was really required to off load all the kit which had arrived. What to do? How would a QA officer find a forklift truck? Luckily I’d made contact with the Station Staff Officer for a number of issues and he was a very helpful Retired Officer. Less than an hour later, a forklift truck trundled up the road to Glyn Hughes barracks from the main garrison. I got a good deal of satisfaction from that, in addition to the realisation that the spirit of goodwill and cooperation lived on.



I came home in March 1993 after a year in post. I enjoyed it enormously. A lot of people who I met had never had contact with QAs before, including the Brigade Commander, but I’d like to think that they were surprised that we can turn our hands to anything!


Judy Evans

I served in the QARANC from 1976-96, first as a Midwife, then a Theatre Sister. I also had postings as Instructor for the Student Officer Basic Course at the QATC from 1984-6, Theatre Sister and Matron in the Falkland Islands

3 comments:

  1. Well Judy, you are part of the QA history now. Although I had left the QAs by this time, I was in Germany with my husband who was well informed of the changes taking place. What an experience. Loved the forklift truck story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy, we took this all for granted, but you certainly had to be very flexible and turn your hand to any job thrown at you! Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This very interesting article reminded me of when BMH Dhekelia was transfered to an MRS. I'm not sure who planned the layout of the MRS wards but they put the maternity ward milk kitchen next door to the sluice room.

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...