Friday 27 August 2021

A Taste of Basic Training at the QATC in the Summer of ‘74 by Eileen Nolan




Isn’t memory a funny thing? I can remember so much of my basic training as if it were yesterday but other things, not so much. For example, we were never fed at the QATC! It’s true! I clearly remember the fabulous food at the Cambridge especially the fruit pies, the gorgeous grub in Rinteln where I even learned to like Brussel Sprouts (!) and the superb savouries at Woolwich. But, for the life of me, I cannot remember ever eating at the QATC therefore, we were never fed!! Hold that thought!









My first memory of basic training began a few weeks before I even got to Aldershot when a plain brown envelope landed on the mat at home. On reading the Essential Packing List, my mum exclaimed “what on earth does a 17-year-old want with 2 pantie girdles?"  However, said items were purchased and travelled all the way from Belfast to Aldershot where they were safely tucked away in a drawer.


During that first week of basic, we were all measured for our Number 2 uniform which we were told would take several weeks to make/adjust as it had to fit perfectly. In the meantime, we were to wear our PT kit with huge grey knickers, so big I thought I was back at school! Several weeks later, it was with great excitement that we were issued with our Number 2 Uniform and that evening we all tried on our uniforms. It was at this point we all understood why we needed the pantie girdles! Some of us really struggled to get into our skirts, which is very strange considering we were never fed!

So much was alien to us those first few weeks:

Some of our group found remembering that “a QA is NEVER late, is NEVER on time, but is ALWAYS 5 minutes early”, a bit of a struggle but this is something I took with me throughout my whole nursing career even in the NHS. The trouble is that I expected others to share that philosophy and I was often disappointed.

Learning to salute – “longest way up, shortest way down” is all very well so long as there is no-one standing too close on your right and your arms aren’t too long. Fortunately I don’t have that problem. Saluting was something we all hated doing and knowing that we had to do it in town if an officer approached filled us all with almighty dread. When we were out in a group in Aldershot and we were in uniform, I always tried to be on the far left. Unfortunately, my friends cottoned on to this quite quickly and it was often a jostle when we saw an Officer coming to make sure you weren’t the one standing on the right! Believe me, in Aldershot, there was an Officer around every corner!

Now, weekly Pay Parade was an interesting event. For some of us, it was the first time we had ever been paid and it was certainly more money than most of us had ever had in our possession at one time. So, it was with great anticipation that we followed the orders given on how to conduct ourselves when we received our pay packet (and it literally was a pay packet)! Our orders were that we had to line up in single file in front of a desk according to our service number. On reaching the front of the queue, we had to step forward, salute, state our name, rank, and service number at which point, we would be handed our little sealed pay packet containing notes and coins. If I remember rightly, we were paid around £75. We then had to sign the book, take a step backward, salute again and say, “Pay and book correct Ma’am”, then do an about turn and march off. It was only after doing this for several weeks that it occurred to us that whilst the pay and book may have been correct, we were never actually given the opportunity to open the pay packet at the time or check what was written in the book, to find out if it was correct!!

Memories of square bashing and cross country runs at some ungodly hour in the morning are very fresh. Its funny how some people just never got the hang of “I left, I left, I left the tail of my shirt behind” and I can still hear that drill sergeant trying to “encourage” us to get it right! Which reminds me of the length some went to, to get out of drill. Early on, one of our group felt faint whilst on parade and she was allowed to sit it out while the rest of us carried on………big mistake. But the drill sergeant was not stupid and soon realised the reason for the increasing number who felt faint before drill!

Now, joining the army to undertake student nurse training meant we would be exposed to all manner of tropical diseases and exotic postings. Well, that was the theory anyway but several of our intake never so much as left the UK! However, that didn’t stop the need for vaccinations for all these deadly diseases. During the first week of basic, we were tested for our immunity for things such as TB (Heaf Test), Diphtheria (Schick Test) etc, then the following week we were vaccinated according to our immunity along with other vaccines such as Yellow Fever which I had never heard of at that time. Personally, I had no immunity to anything and got all the vaccines going. The ironic thing about this story is that we were not allowed to leave the QATC at all during that first week. We were given our vaccines on the Thursday and Friday of the second week and the first night we were allowed out was that Friday night and the weekend. Let’s just say that alcohol and several vaccinations so close together do not always sit well!

More basic training memories to come, but in the meantime, if anyone remembers being fed at the QATC, I would love to know what the food was like.





Eileen Nolan

12 comments:

  1. Eileen what a great trip down memory lane even for those of us that joined at a later date. Those grey knickers were still around in 1981 when I joined up! No idea of what I had to eat at QATC either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen, lovely read thank you. Those grey knickers were still about in 1990 too when I joined although many had been given blue ones. I do remember eating at QATC but mainly breakfast, I was so hungry all the time I ate 3 weetabix in the morning. I think I was one of a few who actually gained weight in basic training. Wish I was 49kg now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a trip down memory lane. We didn't have girdles but definitely the grey knickers. I don't think we needed girdles as all that running, drill and PT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant, Eileen. I really loved it. Fabulous to see the view from the Junior Rank side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh. I was Company Commander for NCO’s at the QATC, and it's just as it was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a lovely trip down memory lane. Yesterday 28th August marked 31 years exactly to the day I proudly joined up, so was on my mind all day reminiscing of my happy days at the QATC.

    I remember being fed ha ha! So much so that one of my most embarrassing moments was in the cookhouse. I’m from Edinburgh and live scotch pies, and when I saw them in the hot plate I got fair excited and asked for one. When I sat down the junior NCO’s came round and said ‘any complaints?’ I said ‘yes I do, there’s no meat in this pie’ they then smiled and told me to go tell the chef. So thinking this was a fair mistake I went up and got a right old bollocking from the head chef, my face went red instantly because he told me ‘it’s a bloody Yorkshire pudding you stupid Scottish twat’ ha ha. I’d never had a Yorkshire pudding before, so how was I supposed to know haha anyway when I sat down I saw the funny side when everyone started laughing. Fun times

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Tracy here again, here’s another funny story from my time at the QATC. You remember when we had room inspections and our wardrobe had to look sharp and spotless. Well I had this daft idea that if I only ironed the one half of my winter shirts that was on display this would save me a ton of time. (This was August, so we were only wearing the Summer shirts anyway).

    We got called to get upstairs and change into Winter order and be back outside the QM stores in 5 minutes. Well you can imagine how magnificent I looked with my half ironed shirt ha ha . Sgt Brown just scowled at me the whole time while I was back in line and gave me extra block duties for my laziness. Totally guilty and rightly deserved ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a QATC 89 I remember the canteen food was awful so we're the cokroaches all over ! Great memories though

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was at QATC in 1977, my name was Sue Rowland and I remember it well.I remember pay day too and the first weekend we were allowed out. We got a bit of a lecture about paras and were told that there would be lots of them waiting for us by the gate at the entrance to the drive. How disappointed were we when there was no-one there!! There were plenty of them in the pubs though. One night I was chatted up by one of them and he walked me back.When I got to the gate,I had a couple of minutes left to army time so I ran up the drive hoping I would make it on time and that a strict corporal wouldn't be on duty. Yes, you've guessed it, she was. Only a minute late but wouldn't let me off. I was made to write out the 24hr clock 200 times!!
    Also remember Pat Frazier,our drill Sgt. One day we were particularly bad on the drill square and she brought us to a halt and accused us of marching like a bunch of "spastic ducks" They wouldn't be able to say that to recruits these days would they?
    Another thing I remember is my first room inspection. It was all going well until to my horror, the Sgt slid the dressing table drawers across and all this dust and balls of fluff came out from behind. I never even knew they moved!
    Fond memories and if I think of anything else,I'll let you know

    ReplyDelete
  10. I joined September '71. If anyone is out there that joined the same time as me please get in touch, especially Maggie Lennon from Paisley, Glasgow...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Unknown, you may need to give your name. If you are on Facebook, then people can message you. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  11. I don’t remember the food but do remember that the cookhouse had a steamer to heat/froth milk! This was Feb 1985 …. Way before I’d heard of cappuccino. Happy times

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...