Saturday 6 February 2021

MEMORIES OF THE NURSING OFFICER VEIL By The Jurassic Coast Branch Members

 


The history of the nursing veil can be traced back to the early Christian era when deaconesses, who cared for the sick, were distinguished from others by wearing a white covering on their heads. During Victorian times women in service wore white caps and different styles were developed for nurses to distinguish them from servants. The veil was popular as it covered the hair for neatness and hygiene. Female nursing officers wore the veil with those in the ranks wearing a short cap until 2003/4, when QA’s moved into tunic and trousers and nursing head-dress was abolished. 



To prepare the veil, a large white piece of white cotton with an embroidered red QA emblem at the back, was usually starched with Dip and laid out flat, to dry on a board. The veil was gently peeled off ready to be pressed and shaped into the veil.  

Jan Westbury 


STORIES OF THE VEIL

1. THE SHREDDED VEIL By Dot Ritchie 

As a student nurse in the 60's at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, I wore a butterfly cap. When I joined the QARANC in 1972 I was used to starching and ironing veils so did not use the large pieces of thick plastic or the back of room doors that most other Sisters used. 

I was stationed in Belfast in 1973 where Major Joan Pease was Matron. One day I was in the laundry room of the Mess doing my ironing when Matron came in to get her veil off the plastic. Suddenly, there was a shout from Matron. I looked up to see Matron pulling her veil off in shreds! It was so thin that it tore into strips. After a few seconds, we both burst out laughing. 

The moral to this story is, just iron your veil and it will not end up shredded! 



2. YOUR VEIL IS A DISGRACE! By Merrill Bate

Picture the scene at The Gun Hill QARANC Nursing Officers Mess at the Cambridge Military Hospital (CMH) in Aldershot one weekday lunchtime. It was a requirement that on entering the Mess you removed your veil and left it on a shelf in a cloakroom before having lunch in the Dining Room. On this occasion Matron had obviously decided to cast a critical eye over the quality and state of disrepair of the veils that had been deposited by QAs having lunch. One veil had clearly met with Matron’s disapproval and she left a handwritten note saying:

This veil is an absolute disgrace. You must replace is with a clean and properly made veil immediately. Matron

When Pat McKay and I left the Ante-Room to return to work after lunch we went to collect our veils and saw Matron’s note discarded on the shelf. There was no evidence of the veil which had clearly upset Matron. Presumably the guilty Nursing Officer had either scurried back to her room to find a new veil or returned to work wearing the less than perfect veil.

The note provided us with an opportunity! A number of newly commissioned Nursing Officers fresh from the QA Training Centre had arrived at CMH. One of these QAs had left her beautifully made and very new veil on the shelf. Pat and I decided she would be our victim and left Matron’s note on her veil.

I cannot recount what happened next because by the time the poor QA went to retrieve her veil I was safely back in the School of Nursing and Pat was working in the Operating Theatres. Did she in a confused state return to her room to get a new veil forever puzzled as to why she incurred Matron’s displeasure and what happened to the note? We will never know.

3. JUST LIKE THE OLD DAYS By Merrill Bate

In 1981/1982 I was on the held strength of the QA Training Centre whilst I undertook my Registered Clinical Nurse Teachers (RCNT) course at Suffolk College in Ipswich. I was accommodated in the Garrison Officers Mess in Colchester. To qualify as a RCNT I had to spend periods of time in clinical practice and was allocated to work in the School of Nursing at Colchester Hospital.

The only uniform I had was my QARANC ward dress and my supervising Tutor thought it would be a good idea for me to wear it on the wards. The lady who looked after me, and a PMRAFNS Nursing Officer in the male dominated Mess, spotted my uniform in the laundry room and excitedly greeted me one morning asking if she could look after my uniform whilst I was working at the Hospital. She explained that when there had been QAs in Colchester she had looked after their uniforms and to look after mine would be ‘just like the old days’. So, over the next 6 months I had my very own ‘batting lady’ who polished my shoes, washed and pressed my uniforms and most importantly washed, starched and shaped my veils. She took so much pleasure in looking after a QA’s uniform that on my departure she presented me with 6 beautifully made veils. I stored one of these veils flat in a large plastic bag just in case I ever needed it for something important; I wore it when I represented the QAs at the Royal British Legion’s Festival of Remembrance in 1984. 




4. VEIL INCIDENT AT THE QATC 1976 By Pat McKay

I arrived as a newly commissioned officer at the QATC on 5 July 1976 and was introduced to the mysteries of how to starch a veil by members of the permanent staff. Most people I joined with had never worn a head dress like it, so when the suggestion was made that the best flat surface to use when starching a veil was one’s room window, most took up the suggestion and consequently a row of windows at the QATC now had a veil applied to it.

Colonel (later Brigadier) Moriarty was the Training Centre Commandant and lived in the bungalow just along from the front door to the Officers Mess. On a beautiful summer evening she walked down from her accommodation with the most pained expression on her face to inspect what these new officers had done to her ‘Training Centre’. She described it as looking ‘like a Chinese laundry’.

Needless to say, the offending items were removed at the earliest opportunity and an alternative flat surface was found to starch our veils on.

Here ends the Veil Incident at the QATC.!!!! 




Contributors: 
Capt (Retd) Jan Westbury TAVR & Regular Service 1986 - 1992
Lt Col (Retd) Merrill Bate ARRC 1980-2002
Major [Retd] Pat McKay ARRC Branch Secretary Served 1976 - 1996
Major (Retd) Dot Ritchie Regular service 1972 to 1980 TAVR 1980 to 2003

8 comments:

  1. I always used to put a thin layer of cardboard in the rim and curled it round so the veil stood proud on my head. Of course it always slipped to the back of my head. I remember one Matron telling me " Miss Cummings you are supposed to be under the veil , not in front of it". We starched our veils on a large sheet of plastic stuck to our bedroom doors. Fond memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a photo of Capt. Alexander I think??? My nursing tutor. Frightened the life out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which photo? Each section has a picture of the author. No, none of us would have been frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the way the veil looked but hated wearing the blasted thing. My funniest memory was completing my RSCN training at Gert Ormond Street and returning to the Cambridge. A week later I was back at GOS as I had to transfer a child in the back of an ambulance. The look on the ward staff's faces was a picture, especially the one who had been in my intake for RSCN training. I wish we had mobile phones then to take a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great memories of “the veil”, many a patient would have been “poked ” somewhere by the edges of the starched veil. Lethal weapon. Not to mention “infection control”. But it did make a proud statement - QARANC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Catterick I worked on the ITU, as I remember all wards sort of linked. The crash cart for cardiac events was held in ITU and was used for all the wards. When the crash bell went the first thing the sister did that was running the team was whip her evil off. Running through the double doors would often catch the veil if not removed prior to the crash run through the top end of the wards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first ward was orthopaedics and I can remember the discomfort of the tug on my hair every time my veil hit the traction cords.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...