Friday 12 February 2021

Making My First and Last Veil By Major Domini Barrett

As a young Lieutenant Reservist in 219 Field Hospital in 1992, I was unable to attend the Unit’s Annual Camp so it was suggested I spend two weeks on the Children's Ward at The Cambridge Hospital in Aldershot. I was an adult qualified nurse and was looking at commencing my paediatric training within the Army so this was a wonderful opportunity…….until it came to finding out I had to make a veil to go with my issued grey nursing dress.


In 219 Field Hospital we had an attached regular Nursing Officer. She kindly offered to help me complete the task. So sitting on the floor of the Officers’ Mess, my veil making lesson began. I had a plastic sheet mounted on a hard board, a bottle of liquid starch, a paint brush and a floppy cotton veil. We laid out the veil, painted it with starch onto the board and, as I was going to the Cambridge Hospital a few days later, I took it home with me to dry. She suggested I ask someone to fold it once I’d arrived in Aldershot.

I duly arrived on the Sunday afternoon at the Officers’ Mess. It was like the Marie Celeste, not a soul to be seen. As time went by I became more worried as to how I could possibly go into the hospital in uniform but without a veil. An easy solution so I thought was to walk the corridors and listen out for an occupied room. An hour or so later, having gone up and down the floors, to the TV room, bar area, laundry room, I had found no-one. I then spotted someone in their dressing gown walking down the corridor from the bathroom and plucked up the courage (I was desperate) to ask if they could help me. She looked at me and with a “follow me” I was invited into her room with my huge board & veil. As she was a Major and I a mere Lieutenant and, of course, she was in her dressing gown I was very, very nervous. Swiftly the veil was made and having thanked her I scuttled back to my room.

The following day I proudly made my way to the Children's Ward. With short hair it was rather a challenge keeping the veil on my head (it was surprisingly heavy so I needed quite a few hair grips). The acting Sister on the ward was very particular about dress and appearance and we weren't allowed to take it off until we were in the office. I tried my best but it was a challenge not to take out the doctors eye with the veils pointed edges as we both tried to pass through the door at the same time. I soon learnt the importance of doorway etiquette!

I had a wonderful two weeks at The Cambridge and went on to complete my children's nurse training at Great Ormond Street. I am still serving in the Reserves now with 306HSR.

It was the first and last time I wore a veil, but the challenges of making it have never been forgotten so much so that the veil sits starched and made up in a suitcase in my loft just in case I need it for another day……..

2 comments:

  1. You only had two weeks living with the Veil...some had a life time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would still wear it today though....

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...