Saturday 23 January 2021

From Dream to Major by Sara Russell



From as early as I can remember I used to listen to stories from my father of his experiences in the military; his postings, training, operations, the decorations he was awarded and all the adventures that had bought him such pride and happiness during his time in uniform. He would fill me with admiration and curiosity hearing about the opportunities he had been given and I quickly realised I wanted to follow his footsteps. The older I got the more adamant I became to pursue this dream and whilst many thought this would be a passing phase, upon leaving school I presented at the careers office to start the enlistment process. After meeting with the recruitment staff and discussing my career choices I had concretely decided I wanted to join the QARANC as a nurse. Much effort went into trying to persuade me to join another Regiment/Corps however after my long-standing stubbornness I was advised to go to college and come back when I was 17.5 years old when I would be old enough to start nurse training. By this time sadly the Army were no longer training nurses so with a heavy heart I had to start thinking about what other career options were available to me. However, just five months later, and at the time I was finishing my last year of college as if by fate the Army had recommenced nurse training. Following several months of tests and interviews I finally swore my Oath of Allegiance and was given date to a parade for my first day in uniform. My dream had finally come true.

I started my career at ATR Lichfield in 1999 where I completed Basic Training. I still remember the feelings of anxiety and fear as I entered the camp, but I was confident I had still made the right choice and could not wait to get started. Basic training was extremely challenging both physically and mentally but the skills I learnt, qualities I developed and friends I made, made every day worth it. No aspect of the training came easy to me so my pride as I passed out of Basic Training 14 weeks later before moving to the South to read Nursing at Portsmouth University was more than I could have ever imagined. I felt alive and as if I had conquered the world.

It was then onto the next chapter which presented with its own set of challenges and were very different from those I had just endured. The preconceived challenges of University and the academic demands were very real and posed some difficulties for me however the placements balanced this as I found these really valuable and were where I truly learnt about the job and affirmed this was the right profession for me. What I had not considered was how difficult it would be being so far from home for such long periods. At times I did find this difficult despite having dreamt of this for so many years but with routine, familiarity. and support from new friends I soon started to settle, my enthusiasm for my chosen future realigned and life was becoming very fruitful. During these first few years little did I know I had already met my best friend, future husband and my children’s Godparents.

Not many months after qualifying as a nurse I was detached to 34 field hospital and deployed to Iraq on OP Telic 1. Whilst there were some emotional times out there, I once again felt fulfilled and alive being employed in an operational environment which I believed was definition of Army nursing. I was home no more that 6 weeks before returning to Iraq on OP Telic 2 with 33 field hospital for a further 3 months. This tour allowed me to consolidate my nursing and operational experience and fully immerse myself into my work and start proving my management and leadership skills. During this tour I quickly realised my interests to Commission and began casually enquiring about my potential and the process. Upon my return to the UK in late 2003 the wheels were set in motion and work towards improving my profile to Commission started. This process took several years and before I went through Officer selection, I volunteered for a tour of Bosnia to give me more operational experience but also to provide me with the time and support from skilled staff in to prepare me for board.

The commissioning process was intense but well worth it when I was informed of my success and given a date to attend Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. I learnt so much during this phase of my career and feel this was the real start to my opportunities widening. After I commissioned, I had a short spell in Catterick before another tour of Iraq on Op Telic 9A where I again I was able to consolidate the skills I had learnt on my Commissioning course whilst continuing to enhance the qualities required to be an effective leader.

I remember not long after my return from this tour reflecting and thinking just how amazing my career had been thus far but also wondering what else there was left for me other than promotion and postings. I felt I had flown so quickly down my chosen career path but worried I might have reached a lull. But again, as if it was fate, I heard that my application to start my Degree in Mental Health Nursing had been approved. This was when I left the world of General Nursing.

In 2007-2008 I completed my conversion course at University of Hull and was quickly posted to the Department of Community Mental Health (DCMH) in Aldershot. I later saw postings to DCMH Donnington, DCMH Colchester and DCMH Cranwell. My time as RN (MH) was probably the most fulfilling. It took me outside of my comfort zone, developing my management and leadership skills with a steep learning curve but along the way and true to the military I met some amazing people and have many fond memories.

I finished my career in 2017 having served 18 years to the day. I started as a Private soldier and retired as a Major and earned a Dip (HE) Nursing (Adult) and BSc (hons) Nursing (Mental Health) and whilst non certificated a depth of experience in management and leadership. The military gave me opportunities and experiences many only read about in a book and ones I know I would never have experienced if I had ventured down other avenues of employment. If I said I enjoyed every minute of my service life I would not be being honest but those times were greatly outweighed by all the good times and I will always look back with pride and fondness having served in the British Army…..and to add to the fairy tale, along the way I married my husband (a fellow QARANC) and now have two amazing children (now aged 10 and 5 years old)

I can safely say that I know of at least one little girl who got her dreams.

3 comments:

  1. Sara, I was there at the beginning and proud of the trajectory your career took. It was an honour to be part of that journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant story and I believe should be used as part of recruiting

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the blog is giving so many QARANC experiences - a voice.
    Well done Maj Sara

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...