Friday 15 January 2021

17th January 1991 Start of Gulf War 1 - Letter by Jan Westbury

Thirty years ago whilst serving in the Gulf, I sent the letter below to my husband, reflecting on the first day of the war. I was a nursing officer in charge of a tented 108 bedded low dependency ward. It was a hurriedly scribbled letter and below the letter is the transcription, for ease of reading.






















































































Dear Terry
It is 1730 on the day war was declared. It was stated that we are on active service from 0300 local time, 0100 German time. Incredible really. We were woken at 0330 with an air raid red and then various states of NBC. The B shift were called in at 0400, the A shift had breakfast at 0500 and then went into work.

We were all remarkably calm really and also rather giggly. (We forgot to turn our room lights out). It was really well organised, we had good briefs, the radio gave us information and 0400 we listened to President Bush's speech.
My day on the ward wasn't too brilliant, some of the staff were so tired after a few hours sleep and I had to keep encouraging them to get the work done this morning and that everyone must rest this afternoon. I'm actually in the block at the moment as I have to go back to work tonight. Because of my lack of sleep I felt irritable with the odd few that sat like zombies. In all fairness, most of the staff were great. I now feel better after two hours sleep and more able to cope. The start of war certainly had an effect on me, I think I wavered momentarily. Too much thought of the poor boys.

This morning was spent going into various states of NBC dress and running to air raid shelters etc. One of my straps on my respirator fell apart and one of the patients helped me. They were great.

Well, it was wonderful to talk to you today. Sorry I woke you so early, but it was a real support to me.
Much Love
Jan x


My letters home have been boxed up for 30 years and not seen light of day until December 2020.  It was all due to the Covid 19 pandemic: time to empty out the loft; helping set up this blog and trying to capture our history; 30 year anniversary of the Gulf conflict; a virtual presentation to the student nurses with Merrill Bate and Kay Foster for remembrance in November 1990 and a forthcoming presentation for colleagues at one of our QARANC Jurassic Coast Branch Zoom meetings.
 
Capt (Rtd) Jan Westbury. Served at Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia November 1990 - March 1991
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...