Friday 3 May 2024

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

 




The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 April 1883 by Queen Victoria after nurses had served in Zululand and their work was not recognised officially.  The first recipient was Florence Nightingale and the second Jane Decilia Deeble, who had served in Zululand.  The award is made to a nurse who has shown exceptional devotion and competence in the performance of nursing duties, over a continuous and long period, or who has performed an exceptional act of bravery and devotion at their post of duty. 
Source: Royal Red Cross - Wikipedia


Where were you when you were informed?
I was working as a Staff Officer at MOD that I was to be awarded the RRC in the New Year’s Honours of 1985. I think that it was at the end of November.

How was I informed?
Brigadier Rooke handed me an envelope from her safe.

Did I know why I was being honoured?
My RRC was for the response of the QARANC personnel serving in The Falklands response to the devastating fire which occurred on 10 April 1984, some 40 years ago.

How long did I have to keep it a secret?
Not too long as I was given a New Year’s honour.

How did the family react to the news?
Obviously, everyone was delighted.

Did I celebrate before the Palace event?
As I was living in a flat in Greenwich my parents came to stay and we went out for supper the evening before locally.

How did I feel to see my name in the newspaper?
Seeing your name in the papers always gives a buzz, especially the local newspaper at home. My Mum saved every newspaper cutting of me doing something, usually meeting a member of the Royal Family.

Who went with me to the Palace?
My parents came with me and as it was such a special occasion MOD provided an official car to take us.

Who presented my medal?
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth gave me my medal and of course she was well briefed for all medal recipients.

What did we do afterwards?
I was still a member of the RAF Club at the time and we went for a meal there as of course I was still in uniform.

Other observations
The presentation was only 4 weeks before my wedding and so it was a bit sad that I was only allowed two guests as it meant my then fiancé couldn’t come. As my wedding was the next month my mum insisted on a different outfit for each event – much to my dad’s consternation!



Lt Col (Rtd) Marjorie Bandy RRC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...