Saturday 6 January 2024

QARANC AND PRE PARA COURSE- PART ONE by Rod Eldridge

 

PART ONE

Why do Pegasus Company (P Coy)?  And if successful why then jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft? 

It’s like most worthwhile challenges it’s because it’s there!  And it is indeed worthwhile, for the doubters the following may offer some insight to support my personal assertions. 

When I joined the Army in 1986, I became extremely fit in basic training, gaining the best recruit and best recruit PT awards on passing out. 23 Parachute Field Ambulance (PFA) came on a visit (sneaky recruiting I thought) to Keogh Bks and tried very hard to coax me into their unit. I was a qualified RMN and destined for QEMH, and as there was no established role for me at 23 PFA, I’d be employed as a CMT 3 painting boxes and erecting tents.  Not for me, as I wanted to nurse and join my brother Malcolm who was then a Serving Captain in the RAMC at the QEMH in Woolwich.

This experience and subsequent meetings with 23 PFA, mainly at sports competitions and events, not only planted a seed but further sparked a curiosity in these fit, capable, and confident guys.  Once dual qualified I subsequently commissioned and I then sought to join 23 PFA as Training Officer.  I applied and submitted numerous posting preferences, but records came back with some reason why it was not possible at this stage of my career.  There was a sense at the time that being a QA serving in the field army was frowned upon and not the best career move, thankfully this is no longer the case.  My service career path had very much leaned to the mental health setting rather than general nursing. Whilst I never gave up on the idea of doing P Coy, I got on with my mental health nursing. 



It was when attached to 23 PFA on operations in KOSOVO in 1999 and then then 16 CSMR during the Iraq war in 2003 I joined in with the unit PT and extracurricular training and not only did I keep up, but often beat some of the fit guys. They said I should do P Coy, I said I wanted to but my current posting and likely future appointments had no requirement for a RMN military Parachutist.












It all changed when posted to 16 CSMR Colchester in 2002 the home of 16 AA BDE and on the held strength with a parachutist PID.  The only issue was, I was 39 yrs of age and the cut off for volunteering and attempting P Coy was 35 yrs of age. I was given dispensation by the CO and was passed medically fit. So this was it, I had finally got the chance to earn my wings or BBC! (Blue Badge of Courage). I always believed you should be trained for your role, and it seemed logical to attempt and pass P Coy if you were in an airborne unit. I wanted to lead by example, but also fancied the personal challenge.





I began training in earnest with watching my diet, stopping drinking, and planned 3 months of gradually increasing exercise in preparation for the Pre Para course to be held in Aldershot. I worked on speed, endurance and carrying weight in my bergen etc. I did something every day; sprints, hill repetitions, long runs, long marches, gym work and swimming. This prepared me well and I passed Pre Para without difficulty. I was however the butt of many jokes being the old timer, but those much younger than me were challenged not only physically, in that I kept up with and on occasions beat them on events, but also psychologically, thinking I can’t let a crusty old Major (nurse) beat me. Our CO loved it and used my age as an example to many who had sat on the fence with attempting P Coy.


Look out for part two next week and attempting P Coy!



Lt Col (Rtd)  Rod Eldridge 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...