Friday 3 November 2023

Memories of being in the Territorial Army - 219 Wessex Field Hospital by Jan Westbury

 Before I joined the regular army I was in the Territorial Army and have fond memories of my colleagues, the drill nights, weekend exercises and two week camps.  In between I took advantage of anything on offer, such as sailing and earning my competent crew certificate.  I think back to camaraderie and fun.  Here we are at the pub for some well earned refreshments!  I seem to have a lot of photos from my army days where I am snapped eating.


As we expanded and developed, in April 1988 we officially became the Gloucester detachment with a grand opening.

On parade prior to the grand opening.  Not everyone had uniform!


With my surgical trolley, scissors at the ready, for the cutting on the ribbon

It was great to be part of a team that won the Nutbeam Shield that year for our military skills.  At that time our colleagues in the regular service did not necessarily appreciate the skills we had and we seemed to be the butt of many jokes, usually called weekend soldiers.



                                                                                                                                                                                           







I like  this photograph of two Captains,  Sally and Elaine, as their marching looks so synchronized. There is something about marching together that makes you feel proud and even better if you have a marching band to help you along.



Happy Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...