Friday 30 September 2022

Stories From My Scrapbook - The Falklands by Kay Foster

I was posted to the Falkland Islands in 1987-88 on a six-month tour as Matron at the newly built King Edward V11 Hospital. The previous Military Hospital had burned down with a number of civilian casualties. The Military worked jointly with civilian medical and administration staff as the hospital looked after both the civilian and military population of the islands.  The majority of military personnel were stationed at RAF Mount Pleasant, whereas the military medical staff lived in Port Stanley. At the time of my posting, we were accommodated in portacabins in Port Stanley and had a comfortable Mess, with a church and a pub on the island. 

At that time many foreign fishing vessels from the Far East, Russia and Europe obtained fishing licenses to fish in the fertile fish stocks in waters around the Falklands. The hospital was kept quite busy with a number of trauma injuries suffered by the fishermen.  

The Islands were a perfect wildlife sanctuary, whale's, sea lions, dolphins' various breeds of penguins, also an array of birds including the elegant huge albatross. I even had a wild cat that took up residence with me in my cabin and I would often find a mouse or a bird waiting to greet me. On my days off I would walk the area around Port Stanly and visit the site where the fierce fighting took place, against the Argentine military. There were occasions when I found human bones, e.g. bones from a finger left from the debris of war. We also got the opportunity to get a lift on a working helicopter and visit different areas and islands. 

I visited Fitzroy where the Sir Galahad was bombed with loss of life to the British Troops.  A dear friend L/Cpl Andy Mortimer, REME, was on board at the time and survived the horrific attack by the Argentina airforce. Some years before while serving in Hong Kong I had a return trip on the Sir Galahad to Brunei. I often wonder what happened to the crew of the Sir Galahad, as many foreign staff made the ship their permanent place of work. I had a memorable tour in the Falklands Islands, one of many wonderful postings and experience's I had while serving with the QA’s. 

We featured in Soldier Magazine, as can be seen below.




Major Kay Foster QARANC (Retd) Served from 1977 to 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...