Friday 8 July 2022

Remembering the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Year by Domini Barrett







2012 was a memorable year in many ways. It was not only the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and London Olympics, but the year my husband and I moved to Hohne, Germany. He was assigned to be the Senior Chaplain of 7th Armoured Brigade. 







On top of all that, in the Autumn I deployed with 243 Field Hospital to Afghanistan on Op HERRICK 17. I was the lead paediatric nurse during a three month period working in the Role 3 hospital in Camp Bastion. It was a busy and challenging tour where I also nursed adults alongside my primary role with children.


The entire year was highly eventful; settling into a new home and country and then going away for a long period. During the summer we enjoyed a lovely summer holiday exploring parts of southern Germany on a mammoth road trip and marked the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee with parties both in the Garrison in Germany and then with family and friends when we were back in the United Kingdom. However, amongst all this there was no parade or formal presentation of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal. As I recall the unit’s focus was very much on the build up training (of which there was a great deal) before we went on operations. At this point in my career I had served for nineteen years and so was able to proudly add my new medal to my Golden Jubilee Medal which I had received ten years previously.


As an officer in the Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps, I have always been conscious that whether at home or overseas I am serving both my Queen and country and so Jubilee milestones marking Her Majesty’s long reign are certainly to be celebrated.



Major Domini Barrett - Senior Nursing Officer - 306 Hospital Support Regiment



No comments:

Post a Comment

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...