Friday 12 November 2021

A Rather Special Day Out by Wendy H. Jones

 


One thing you don't realise when you sign on the dotted line to join the QARANC are the interesting things that will happen to you during the course of your career. I certainly didn't realise that QARANC officers could be called upon to carry out medical cover for royal occasions. You can imagine my surprise then, when I was called up to matron's office to be told I would be spending a day at Royal Hospital Chelsea while The Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, inspected the Chelsea Pensioners. I was to be her personal nurse for the day. To be honest my first thought was, it's a hospital, they must be swimming in nurses, but I was never one to shirk my duties, royal or otherwise. And a day out at the firm's expense, even if I was working, sounded like a jolly good idea.

So, I was picked up by car and duly presented at The Royal Hospital Chelsea where I spent an extremely pleasant day. Of course, I had to be alert for medical emergencies, but the sun was shining I was outdoors in the rather splendid grounds, and the atmosphere crackled with excitement and festivity. It was like spending a day at a gala. The Chelsea Pensioners, resplendent in their red coats and tricorn hats, looked amazing on parade. The Duchess of York carried out her royal duties beautifully chatting to the pensioners and making each one feel like they were the most special person earth. And of course one cannot forget the interior of the Royal Hospital itself which was, and still is, stunning. I am glad to report there were no medical emergencies and I really did have a day out and a jolly nice lunch as well. 

I can honestly say I am glad I was chosen for this duty. It was a special experience of an equally special place and one I will never forget. 

About the Writer

 

Wendy H. Jones served as a Nursing Officer in the QARANC between 1987 and 2004 leaving with the rank of Major. She never went on an operational tour but undertook many exercises as well as serving in numerous units in both the UK and overseas. Hong Kong and Jerusalem had to be two of the highlights. Moving into nurse education, she was proud to have served as Tri-Service Head of Pre-Registration Nurse Education. This brought her full circle to where she started as a student nurse in the QARNNS. She is now an author and lives in Scotland. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely story. My father was in in pensioner at Chelsea. A very special place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely memory of one day in what was a highly interesting career. Your first career. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...