Friday 1 October 2021

Pandemic Life for a QARANC Student Nurse by Kathleen McAuliff


The first outbreak of COVID19 and consequently the changes that followed in 2020, brought a lot of excitement initially. It can be compared to the excitement when you wake up on a snowy morning and listening out for your school on the radio, in the hope that you get a snow day off. However, the reality settled in when it wasn’t just a three-week break from academic work, but a global crisis that resulted in a vast amount of misery, but also triumph. Documented below are a few of my personal experiences from the past 18 months.

University work

- Online lectures were PAINFUL in the beginning. It was very difficult to sit through a lecture with 100+ people who all had a different knowledge of technology. The constant interruptions with people not knowing how to mute their mics was so frustrating and made me disengage with the live lectures.

- However, as time went on I was able to start to appreciate the leisurely life of online university work: not having to set my alarm super early for the commute in, engaging in content at my own pace and taking my dinner break when I wanted! Now, I prefer online working and hope it will continue into the rest of my 2nd year and 3rd year!


Clinical Placement


- Clinical placements for 1st years was delayed, so it was crazy to know that the first time I had contact with a patient was 10 months into the course. It was a little daunting at first. I was placed on a ‘hot’ section of the ward, which meant that these patients were COVID positive patients. Throughout the shift full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) was required for any patient care/interaction and I had to do a full change between patients. This could be time consuming and I developed contact dermatitis from the continual hand washing. Sometimes I would even leave the hospital with marks on my forehead from the visors. Everyday was different, with protocols changing all the time as our understanding of the virus increased and it really highlighted how much communication was so important with one another.

- The pressures that the staff were put under to work in these environments was daunting to watch, but it also showed to me the true characteristics of what it takes to be a kind human in the face of adversity and gave me insight into the person I want to grow into.


Pte Kathleen McAuliffe Intake 01/20

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Kathleen for this most interesting insight. I really felt for you with dermatitis and marks on your face from the PPE. I am so pleased this experience has not deterred you and look forward to hearing from you in the future as your training continues and your career develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathleen. I found this very humbling and really admire your strength. I wish you really well in your career

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...