Friday 10 September 2021

Meeting Princess Margaret by Karla Buswell

Just before I joined the army, I completed my Queen’s Guide Award as a girl guide young leader. This was the top award and quite an achievement. It’s like the Duke of Edinburgh Gold award. I was invited to Kensington Palace to be presented with my award from Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret.

I needed a day off from ward duties and requested this from the ward sister. She informed me I needed the permission of Matron because Princess Margaret was our Colonel-in-Chief. It was decided that I would wear my No. 2 dress. A Guardsman, a patient at the time,  kindly bulled up my court shoes for me and taught me the trick of putting them in tights to protect them during storage and to maintain the shine.

It was during this time that the IRA were bombing London, so the CSM arranged transport for me, since I would be travelling in uniform.

One hot and sunny day in July 1989, I was taken from the Queen Elizabeth Military Hospital in a gleaming private black car to Kensington Palace.


We were put in a waiting room and called forward individually to meet the Princess. I was the only one in military uniform. When it was my turn to be presented, her eyes lit up upon seeing my QA No. 2s. She called me, ‘One of her girls!’ We had a brief chat about my time in the army so far. As you can see in the photo, I was then presented with my brooch in a box and the usher politely informed Her Royal Highness that she needed to stop chatting to me about the army and present more brooches to the other Guiders.

We were then ushered out of the room and sent on our way. I was disappointed not to have any refreshments, but it was worth it to see and speak with our Colonel-in-Chief.

During my time at the QEMH I volunteered as a helper at the local Brownie pack. This was conveniently located at the back of my accommodation in a large building across from the NAAFI. It was great fun and we had trips out to locations like Margate and Greenwich. Many of the staff’s children attended and I used to babysit for some of the families so that they could attend functions at the Messes. On my next posting I volunteered at a local Cub’s pack. Though this was civilian, there were a few sons of QAs and soldiers. We had great water fights during summer camps!

I completed my student nursing and qualified, at the Cambridge Military Hospital in Aldershot, in 1992. I enjoyed working on a male surgical ward for another year, before leaving so that I could accompany my husband, Chris, also a QA, to Cyprus, where our two children were born.

I look back fondly at my QARANC career and have made some great life-long friends. We recently had a reunion in Birmingham and caught up with each other’s lives. One of my friends is now a Dame and a Brigadier! We keep in touch via a group WhatsApp and I can’t wait for the next reunion. Some of us have had the BIG 50 birthday and several of us surprised one during his celebrations in Seaham where the famous Tommy sculpture is. It’s a breath-taking and humble sight.

I now work as a pet portrait artist and live in Aberdeenshire with Chris and his Mistress, his dog Lynne.




Private Karla Buswell (Nee Partridge) 1987-1992

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely story. I am so pleased Princess Margaret took so much time with you. I had the honour of presenting her with flowers, but there was no discussion. I bought a new outfit and practised my courtesy every day for a few weeks. All those nerves and over in 10 seconds.

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...