Friday 23 July 2021

Being a Royal Military Academy Sandhurst SSgt Instructor as a Nurse by Cally-Jay Brunton.



Cally-Jay and Arthur

Feb 2019 I attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS) Instructor Cadre, apprehensive but driven, knowing that from the 59 personnel attending only 31 are selected.

The lead up to this had been a combination of being employed as a Section Commander and Platoon Sergeant as well as the RAP Nurse for the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards.

I had always enjoyed teaching and breaking away from the normal path as a nurse, in spite of encountering frequent obstacles and often being told ‘you can’t do that, you’re a nurse’, whilst maintaining my current and competent clinical status.

I have met some inspirational people throughout this journey to get to the RMAS. Some nurses, but mostly those from the Infantry background; as colleagues and role models.

I am now coming to the end of my two-year tenure as a SSgt Instructor, I wouldn’t change this journey at all. Learning a lot about myself, pushing mentally and physically in lots of areas I would not usually venture towards due to my trade as a Primary Heath Care nurse.

I cannot advocate this decision enough if there are people who are interested in pursuing a slightly off-piste route whilst maintaining clinical competence. It has been hard at times, but the pros have outweighed the cons in lots of areas. Enjoying the ‘green’ aspects from making dems for battle-noise simulation on exercise to drill on the Old College parade square.

My final weeks at the RMAS will be spent preparing for an exercise abroad.



SSgt Cally-Jay Brunton QARANC

2 comments:

  1. This is history in the making as Cally is leading the way as the first QA in this role. What fantastic roles our QA's are taking on. Arthur is obviously at ease in his role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Cally-Jay nice to see how “nurses” can play a role in the Big Army!

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...