Saturday 8 May 2021

Memories of the Cambridge Military Hospital

 



There cannot have been anyone who served in the QARANC who did not serve at CMH at some point in their career. In fact, in one of our recent Zoom chats at the Jurassic Coast Branch, we seen a pleasant hour talking about our memories of this iconic hospital. Whilst, I cannot share their stories, I can share my own pleasant memories of CMH.

My first trip to CMH, really was a trip - in an ambulance. Having had a rather unfortunate altercation with a chicken bone at lunch (in Woolwich), where the chicken bone won, I was whipped down to the CMH to have it removed. The situation was dealt with promptly but it was felt a night in the Officers Ward was necessary before I was returned fighting fit to my duties on the children's ward at QEMH. This was something else again, nothing like the NHS ward I had spent time in asa teenager. The strangest part was when I was informed, by. rather stern ward sister, I was to have an afternoon nap. This was surprising to say the least as the last time this happened was when I was in nursery. However, like any good Lieutenant, I did exactly as I was told. 

The next time I graced the wards at CHM was on leaving Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital having done my RSCN training and I was posted to the children's ward. What an amazing experience - not only did I meet a lot of fabulous people but the experience I gained as a children's nurse was outstanding. I came across children with rare conditions and came to learn that they and their families lived life to the full despite the challenges the faced. I learnt a lot. Now, who remembers that corridor - yes that corridor, the one that went from Ward 1 where I worked all the way along to the Operating Theatres. I swear the children's ward staff were the fittest in the hospital having run up and down that corridor numerous times a day on operating days; in other words every day. I loved every minute of it. My trip was cut short when I was posted to Hong Kong.

My third posting to CM was sandwiched in between BMH Iserlohn and Jerusalem and I mean sandwiched in. I spent eight weeks of a two year posting there before I was whisked off to Jerusalem for a year. You're probably beginning to think someone at CMH didn't like me, however, as it resulted un me getting exotic postings, I wasn't too worried. I still managed to pack a lot in to those eight weeks. 

So, what of you? I would love to hear your memories of CMH, so share them in the comments. It was certainly a fabulous place. 

About the Writer

 

Wendy H. Jones served as a Nursing Officer in the QARANC between 1987 and 2004 leaving with the rank of Major. She never went on an operational tour but undertook many exercises as well as serving in numerous units in both the UK and overseas. Hong Kong and Jerusalem had to be two of the highlights. Moving into nurse education, she was proud to have served as Tri-Service Head of Pre-Registration Nurse Education. This brought her full circle to where she started as a student nurse in the QARNNS. She is now an author and lives in Scotland. 


 

5 comments:

  1. Sad as I am to admit, i never served at the Cambridge or infact seen it until a couple years ago when it was a building site My husband served there way back in the early 70s, but i cant remember even going whilst at the QATC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real shame, it was definitely a fabulous place and gave you a real sense of pride and that you were part of something much older than yourself.

      Delete
  2. Wendy, someone asked why they couldn't remove the bone at Woolwich?

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...