Friday 18 December 2020

PACKAGE SAFELY DELIVERED By Eileen Nolan

 

It was Belfast in the Spring of 1974. The “Troubles” had been raging for almost five years and had just claimed its 1000th victim. Bombs and bullets were part of everyday life. Paramilitaries were ever present with their intimidation and threats to their local population. The British Army were very obvious on the streets with their role to protect the people of Northern Ireland. 






On a dull Saturday afternoon, a 17 year old girl was walking home from the town centre. She had to walk that afternoon as all the buses into East Belfast had been taken off the roads as there was rumoured to be “trouble” in the Short Strand area and buses were a great target for those wishing to cause trouble. The problem for the 17 year old that day was that the only way home on foot was via the Short Strand area. 

Approaching Short Strand all seemed quiet then the shooting started! The recessed doorway of a locked shop provided the refuge needed until the shooting stopped and she could safely make her way home. 



I was that 17 year old and that was the day I decided to join the British Army!

Now, you may think that joining the British Army is quite straight forward – go into an Army Careers Office, get the information you need and submit an application form. But when you know that the Careers Office has closed due to the threat to both those manning such an office and to those walking into one, your options are limited.

The careers office at school didn’t have any information and I certainly wasn’t going to tell anyone other than my family why I wanted the information! So, off I went to the phone box at the end of the road and found the number for Palace Barracks in Holywood. The person I spoke to was enormously helpful. I had already told my parents that I wanted to do nursing when I left school so I asked about nursing in the Army. I was then sent all the information I needed about the QA’s.

After sending back the application form, there began what can only be described as something out of a spy novel! You see, the British Army was there to protect the local population and for someone to be seen to go into a Military establishment could put both that person and their family at great risk.

So, when I was invited for interview and a medical at Palace Barracks, I was given clear instructions on how to proceed…..on a specific day at a specific time, I had to make my way to the main railway station in the centre of Belfast. I had to go to the newspaper kiosk and buy a copy of the Belfast Telegraph and then stand a little way to the left of the kiosk. I was informed that I would be approached by a man in civilian clothes also carrying a Belfast Telegraph. Remember, I am 17 years old yet I didn’t think this was strange at all!!!!

I was only waiting about a minute when I was approached and was asked if I was the right person. Of course, the soldier couldn’t show me his ID as we were in the middle of a very public place but off I went with him! He took me to an unmarked car waiting outside with another man in it and thankfully, once I was in the car, they both showed me their Army ID.

Following my interview and medical, I was then driven in the same unmarked car past my own home and into the centre of Belfast again. I was then dropped off at the side of a road and had to make my way home again.

All information that was sent to me from Palace Barracks was in a plain envelope with no indication of where it came from. All this to protect me and my family but it didn’t stop there.

On August 9th 1974 when I had collected my “Queen’s Shilling”, I was taken to the overnight ferry to Liverpool. On arrival in Liverpool, I had to check into the Guard House for them to check I had arrived safely. I had been given detailed written instructions on how to get to Aldershot including train times etc.

On arrival at Waterloo, I had to phone the QATC to confirm which train I would be on and was told that my transport would be waiting for me on arrival at Aldershot. I was very impressed.

However, on arrival, there was no sign of my transport and I remember standing there with £2.50 in my pocket wondering how much it would cost for a taxi to the QATC as I had no idea where it was!

I needn’t have worried as only five minutes later, my transport arrived and I was delivered safely to the QATC. So began my QA adventure…….!


Eileen Nolan
Aug 74 - Sept 74 QATC
Sept 74 - Sept 75 Cambridge Military Hospital
Sept 75 - Feb 77 BMH Rinteln
Feb 77  - July 77 Royal Herbert Military Hospital, Woolwich
July 77 - Aug 78 QEMH, Woolwich





3 comments:

  1. Eileen, it was quite humbling reading this and what a tough 17 year old you were. Amazing support from your family too. Looking forward to reading what happened next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant blog. We started this blog site to capture stories like this, what a brave 17-year-old thank you very much, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story and what courage. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...