Friday 2 October 2020

Rhinos, Tigers and Unexpected Encounters - by Wendy H. Jones

 


You're probably wondering what tigers and rhinos have to do with the QARANC? Quite a lot as it happens - in this tale anyway. I was very fortunate to be posted to Hong Kong whilst in the Corps and I was even more fortunate to spend a couple of weeks in Nepal. This involved the obligatory jungle trip to see if I could score a tiger sighting. The first day, we went in a jeep. No tiger. The second day, we went on an elephant. No tiger sighting. The elephant riding  was rather fabulous though. The third day we did it differently, which led to an adventure like I'd never had before and, trust me, I never want again. Here it is in story format. Names have been changed to protect the innocent but everything else is true. 


“Great day for a tiger hunt,” said Danny.

I had to agree with this. Not the hunt part of course. “Don’t be so dramatic. We’re only going to take photo’s of them.” In the jungle. On Foot. Best not to think too hard about that.

Buttery yellow sun shone from a cerulean sky as we crossed a wide, yet quiet, river in a canoe. Reaching the opposite bank we swapped the sunlight for the dark canopy of the jungle. “Do you think this was such a good idea, Danny? I think I’ve changed my mind.”

“Don’t be such a woose.” So I followed the Sherpa, each step measured and quiet. I didn’t want to disturb the natives. I didn’t even want to think about the natives or what they could do to us. The natives being the wild animals who called the jungle home. The Sherpa’s voice stopped us. “Complete silence. Stay behind tree. Mating Rhinos.” There were indeed a couple of rhinos ahead, oblivious to the audience to their enthusiastic, amorous adventures.

“If notice you are going up tree.” That was reassuring. I mentally assessed my tree climbing skills.

“I know we’re in the jungle Danny, but it seems to be getting darker.”

Danny, a farmer in real life, said, “There’s a storm brewing. Look at those trees.”

Said Trees, still just a moment before, were now bending in prayer to the storm God. As the heavy tropical rain started the guide said “Hurricane. Out of jungle” and he was off like a startled gazelle, leaving us all behind.

Thoughts of tigers and Rhinos trying to find safety from the trees propelled my feet. “Come on, we’ve got to get out of here.” We ran as the storm chased us.

“The guide’s taken the blasted canoe.” I was frantic as I looked at the river in front of us, now a raging torrent. “We can’t get across that.”

“We have to. It’s that or wild animals.”

I said a quick prayer, and launched my 5’ frame into the water.

“Keep hold of me. We’ll make it together.” I was grateful for Danny’s 5’ 10 of solid muscle. Somehow we struggled through the water to reach the bank on the other side. I collapsed, oblivious to the rain battering me from every direction.

Danny pulled me up. “We can’t stop. We’ve got to get back to camp.”

“I can’t do it Danny.”

“Yes you can. There’s a dry hut waiting.”

Somehow I managed to put one foot in front of the other. How I still don’t know. However, the dangers weren’t over. We still had to navigate a small wood. The wind uprooted trees, which toppled either side of us, as fear gave wings to our feet. If this was a BFT I'd be finished before I started. 

That mud hut, when I saw it, held more comfort than any five star hotel. I was rather glad, on this particular occasion, I didn’t come face to face with that tiger. 

I write this to show that nursing in the Army was so much more than bedpans, exercises and operational tours. It was fun, it was exciting and most of all it was completely unexpected. It was a grand life indeed

I'm curious, what has been the most exciting thing that has happened unexpectedly in your life. 

As a postscript, you may be wondering if I am the only person writing for this blog. Absolutely not. There will be a wide range of posts and views, I'm just standing in this week and normal service will be resumed next week. 


About the Writer

Wendy H. Jones served as a Nursing Officer in the QARANC between 1987 and 2004 leaving with the rank of Major. She never went on an operational tour but undertook many exercises as well as serving in numerous units in both the UK and overseas. Hong Kong and Jerusalem had to be two of the highlights. Moving into nurse education, she was proud to have served as Tri-Service Head of Pre-Registration Nurse Education. This brought her full circle to where she started as a student nurse in the QARNNS. She is now an author and lives in Scotland.   

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant description Wendy. I was there with you struggling through the water and making for that mud hut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was an experience, let me tell you.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to yet more fantastic memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Next week, you’ll be glad to know it will be someone else sharing their memories.

      Delete
    2. Wendy, why would we be glad someone else next week. Two great blogs already and look forward to seeing more. Both highly amusing. Keep them coming.

      Delete
  3. What do you mean "Can't do it Danny". You were a QA! And of course you actually did it.
    Did you ever see a tiger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re right, I did do it. No, I never did see a tiger. Quite frankly, by that point, it was the least of my worries 😂

      Delete

Marjorie's Royal Red Cross by Marjorie Bandy

  The Royal Red Cross (RRC) is a military decoration awarded for exceptional services in military nursing. The award was established on 27 A...